Drinking Habits

I'm quite sure that if I weren't totally repulsed by the smell of alcohol and disgusted by the behavior it produces, I would probably be a connosieur of fine drinks. I think I'd drink Absinthe like the french intelligentsia during the turn of the century.

But, since I have no desire to break the Word of Wisdom, my lot in life is to become a connosieur of non-alcoholic beverages. Here are a few I would recommend if you haven't already had a sip. You may even become a Non-Alcoholic like me.








SANGRIA SENORIAL:


Kind of a dry, sweet grape flavor. It's not very sugary at all, and is best with a lot of ice. Goes great with spicy food.






MATERVA :


This is one of the most unusual tasting sodas I've ever come across. It's barely sweet at all and is actually herbal flavored. It's supposed to be like the popular South American Yerba Mate drink. Some people think it tastes like ginger ale, or a very dry cream soda, but I think it's totally unique.
If you like herbal teas, and are feeling adventurous, then this one could be a winner for you. Give it a try!




COCO SOLO:


If I could only drink one soda for the rest of my life, this would probably be it. It is light and refreshing--more so than a lemon-lime soda. And smooth, with just the right amount of carbonation. It is marketed as a coconut flavored soda, but doesn't really taste like the meat of a coconut, but more like the milk. It's pretty hard to find this brand, but if you do stumble across it, don't hesitate to pick up a two-liter. I can guarantee you'll like this one.



GUARANA ANTARCTICA:


This is the most popular soft drink in Brazil and for good reason. It's so good! It has kind of an apple-berry flavor and is mildly sweet. It could also cause you to lose sleep at night. It's made from the Guarana berry, which contains two to three times more caffiene than a coffee bean.



RIBENA:


Bottom Line: Black Currant juice. Sweet and smooth and dark and fruity. It comes in a big bottle of undiluted syrup called "squash" or "cordial", or premixed in a juice box. It is also made into a soda called "Spark" which is really more like blackcurrant-flavored sparkling water and is just as delicious. It runs rampant in Britain, but is only found in foreign food stores here in the US. If you're in the United Kingdom anytime soon, bring me a bottle!

1 comment:

Thirdmango said...

I completely agree on Guarana, I've been addicted to that stuff since I was eight.

I also find myself to be a connosieur of non-alcoholic beverages. Might I give two suggestions. Firstly, Iron Beer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_beer This one can be found at that exotic foods store across from the Provo Hospital.

Also one of my top three favorite drinks of all time. Moxie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie Alas it's only available in New England and for high prices on the internet. But oh man, is it good. Well that is, it's an acquired taste, no one likes it on the first go. But I've been craving it now for 3 years.