I've Always Felt Guilty Doing What I've Loved

"The goals of art are incommensurate (as mathematicians say) with social goals. The goal of the artist is not to solve a question irrefutably, but to force people to love life in all its innumerable, inexhaustible manifestations. If I were told that I could write a novel in which I should set forth the apparently correct attitudes toward all social questions, I would not devote even two hours of work to such a novel, but if I were told that what I shall write will be read in twenty years by the children of today and that they will weep and smile over it and will fall in love with life, I would devote all my life and all my strengths to it."


--Tolstoy

2 comments:

elisa bushman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elisa bushman said...

For what we love determines what we seek.

What we seek determines what we think and do.

What we think and do determines who we are—and who we will become.

-dfu

remember that dear sweet boy in a spiritual sense if you don't mind