Soup Kitchen

So I have this bad habit of not going to sleep until I'm good and tired--which rarely happens when I'd most like it to.
Earlier today I had a migraine. I can always tell when they are coming--I start to get this weird pressure behind my eyes accompanied by this sinking feeling. Then it becomes a race--if I can get to a couple of Excedrin within about twenty minutes, I'm usually in good shape. If not, then it's a good dose of full blown nausea and hypersensitivty to light, sounds, and smells. I have no idea what causes them. Thankfully, I don't get them frequently at all--in fact I can't remember when the last time I had one was. And luckily, if I can choke down a couple tylenol and lie down in the dark for awhile I usually have it beat in about an hour. My heart really goes out to those people who get migraines for twelve hours. Misery.
That was all a roundabout way of saying that I had a nap and so I am not yet tired.
A few thoughts:
I hate spiders. BUT, I am perfectly willing to coexist with them provided that they are not over a certain size or speed. (ie I will let the little green house spider do his job in peace, but the large swiftly darting hairy monstrosity had better hope he's faster than I am) Also, there is a zero tolerance policy in terms of arachnid invasion of personal spaces. Spiders of any size or type will by squished on site if found in my bed, shoes, or dishes.
Secondly, Did you know that Avocadoes are sometimes called Alligator Pears? I love that. So fitting. But also, the name 'Avocado' comes from the aztec word 'Ahuacatl'--which means Testicle. I don't love that. I think I'll stick to calling them Alligator Pears.
Lastly, I got a new crockpot for christmas. All last semester I saved money by buying cheap and delicious soup ingredients in bulk and making giant batches of stew. (That's kind of a sick phrase though 'giant batches of stew'? Sick. Who would want to eat a batch? Or stew? Gross.) But it actually is really great. Most of the time. And I love cooking so, two birds with one stone, right? (That's not a soup. At least not one I've made)
In any case, I am shamelessly soliciting your help blogworld. Do you have any great soup recipes that you would be willing to send me? If your soup is selected as one of the lucky winners to be made in my crockpot, I may even invite you over for a bowl. Fair?

5 comments:

Jarred and Rachelle said...

I got a crock pot for our wedding!! I love it. I have some awesome recipes for everything from pulled pork sandwiches to dessert to soup. I will have to get you some of the recipes. Remind me if I forget. I don't have time right now because I have to rush off to school, but I do have a couple of really good recipes. My most recent favorite was split pea soup. It is Jarred's favorite soup. He was very skeptical, because he likes it so much from the soup kitchen in salt lake. I have to say my soup won him over...Ha ha ha and not just because he is my husband and he is trying to be nice to me.

Unknown said...

this is by far the most tasty stew i have come across. my brother-in-law demands that i make it every time i come to visit! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/hearty-chicken-stew-recipe/index.html

Scott M. Stringham said...

we've got a crock pot recipe book with some great stuff in it. you can check it out when you come for the play reading thing on sunday.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Nephew, I am going to share my favorite soup recipes with you because I enjoy reading your blog very much. You are quite a clever chappy! I wish I could have seen your one act play. I look forward to the day when we can twinkle ourselves about the globe! Here are my recipes:

Chickpea Soup
(Spicy, Indian)
2 19 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
1 16 oz can lite coconut milk
1 14 oz can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tablespoon Garam Masala (Indian spice blend)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground red chili (not chili powder)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup plain yogurt for garnish
How:
In a blender, combine one can drained chickpeas with half the chicken broth. Blend well until smooth. Repeat with other can of chickpeas and broth. Add this to a pan with coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and spices.
Bring to a simmer over moderately high hear. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollup of yogurt on top.

Lentil & Sausage Soup
(Darn close to Carrabas!)

1/2 pound ground country sausage (no spices)
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 T chopped garlic
1 16 oz package dry lentils, rinsed
1 cup shredded carrot
8 cups water
2 cans chicken broth (19 oz's)
28 oz diced tomatoes
1 T garlic powder
1 T chopped fresh parsley
1/2 t oregano
1/4 t thyme
1/4 t basil
1 T salt - or to taste -
1/2 t black pepper

Saute sausage, onion, celery. Add spices. Stir all ingredients together. Boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until lentils are tender.

Bon Apetite!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.