The Death of Pericles

I put on my vinyl maroon armor for the last time today. Mark played the piano backstage before the show and his Ben Folds anthems were a perfectly fitting soundtrack for what has turned out to be one of the most epic theatre experiences I have had thus far. 

It all started back in June. I don't think any of us had any idea what we were really getting ourselves into. And looking  back, I'm still not sure that I can really wrap my head around what just happened:
8 Cast Members
Nearly 4 months of Bi-weekly shows.
Roughly 1,250 Miles on the road.
At least 200 tacos from Taco Bell. (costing nearly $1000)
1 Cast member replacement
36 performances.
1 Broken leg.
About 12,000 Elementary aged kids with (hopefully) a greater appreciation for Shakespeare.
=
Awesome.

Considering the fact that most shows I have done before have run for maybe twelve performances at the longest--this is epic. And I've loved it. I've always worried that I'd never be able to hack it doing the same show over and over again. I wondered if it would get boring or stale--but somehow, I enjoyed every performance. Even on crutches.

4 comments:

@emllewellyn said...

*snuggle* I heart you, Dad.

Anonymous said...

I wondered if I would get bored doing it that much, too. Sort of surprising that I never did get bored! But--$1,000 on Tacos? Seriously! Think of all the money I would have if I never ate those tacos...

PS--do you love my blogger name? ha ha

topher clark said...

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR, ALEX!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.