Break a Leg!

...and this time I actually did.
I have now officially had my first major stage injury. Who knew theatre could be such a dangerous profession?
Quick recap: Right now I'm touring with the BYU Young Company Shakespeare Troupe--We perform a one hour version of Pericles: Prince of Tyre for elementary schools to give the kids what we hope will be an exciting and entertaining introduction to Shakespeare. For some children it is the first play they will ever see.

For whatever reason, most elementary schools have a set of wide stairs that lead off the front of the stage. We set up a big, colorful curtain at the top of those stairs and use multi-leveled space to perform on.
At the top of the show, I, Pericles am fleeing from the wicked King Antiochus. I burst through the curtain, fly down the stairs and stop just short of barreling into the kids to give the show an energetic and attention grabbing start. Only yesterday, it was perhaps a little more attention grabbing than I would have liked.
I burst through the curtain, flew down the stairs, caught my foot on an edge, and hit the ground with a solid thump. I looked up to see my left foot twisted nearly ninety degrees outwards away from my body. This did not look right. It did not feel right either. It felt loose and wiggly--like it was disconnected. I couldn't move it and the weird angle was putting a lot of strange pressure on things, so I reached down and -griiindCrack- yanked it back to the right angle. Sadly this did not solve the problem.
"Guys, I think we're going to have to stop the show..." I said in front of a crowd of wide eyed grade school kids.

I showed up at the emergency room still in costume. After getting checked in onde of the nurses asked: "So what were you doing?"
"I was performing in a play and..."
"Oh, we were hoping you'd say that. The outfit was a little strange..."

Turns out I fractured three bones near the bottom of my leg and it's going to take a surgery on Monday to put everything back together again. Probably three or four screws and a plate.
Then it will be crutches for the next six to eight weeks until I can get the cast off. Yikes.

I figure after years of well wishers telling me to "Break a Leg!" my body finally obeyed.

7 comments:

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Good grief Alex!!! You did a number on those bones!!!

-Alta

Scott M. Stringham said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. What does this mean for Pericles and 12th Night? (crossing my fingers)

Jarred and Rachelle said...

Wow by looking at your x-ray I would have guessed that you were in a motorcycle accident or something with involving high speed or massive forces. That is an incredible break!! Probably one of the best breaks I've seen. Well I don't know about best breaks...but maybe worst break I should say. Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have awesome nurses, because that makes all the difference:)

markolopia said...

I'm so glad it was you and not someone important and difficult-to-replace. Luckily, it won't impact the show too much.

ashleigh said...

Oh Alex, you little Pilch. I think we're going to pull out King Lear to play you. You guys look so much a like it will totally rock.

samsam said...

oh my word!!! TERROR! yet your are still able to turn it into a humorous story. bless you mr. ungerman.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.