Scene I

Int. of apartment of ROGER and

ANNA. Roger is alone. He makes

a cup of coffee and sits at

table. Anna enters from outside, she takes off her coat and:



ROGER

Where have you been?



ANNA

Out. I meant to stop by the store and get some milk.



ROGER

...Well, what happened?



ANNA

I ended up at the church--stopped to pray. I lit a candle

for your mother. (she checks the sugar bowl)

Are we out of sugar?



ROGER

I'm sure she'll appreciate that...yes.

Silence

ANNA

Why don't you ever come any more. Your mother would be

disappointed.



ROGER

She doesn't need to know--



ANNA

But if she did--



ROGER

Are you going to tell her?


Pause


ANNA

No. You should at least call her though. She's dying to hear from you.



ROGER

I will. Maybe.

He goes to do the dishes



ANNA

I should have stopped at the store on the way back. I got

distracted--there was this girl...



ROGER

Will you pick up some mustard when you go? Eggs too. And I

think we're out of milk.



ANNA

Sure...do you remember that bicycle my sister would always

ride? When we went to visit last summer? With the

streamers? It used to be mine.



ROGER

Hmm.



ANNA

There was a girl riding in the park. She had long streamers

on her handlebars just like mine did. Do you remember that

bike?



ROGER

Sure.



ANNA

I stopped to watch her ride. I sat down on one of those

orange benches near the edge. Then there was this couple, a

few benches down, feeding the birds. I couldn't help

watching them--



ROGER

I've got to get ready for work.



ANNA

They looked around, and when they didn't think anyone was

watching, she pulled him in slowly and kissed him...


He has stopped to listen.


ANNA

Then he opened his eyes for a minute and they saw

me--but he sort of grinned a bit and pulled her

in again...


ROGER

That's disgusting. There's nothing worse than a couple going

at it in public.



ANNA

But it wasn't like that--they weren't... You

could see it in the way they looked at each

other. The way they kissed. It was different.



ROGER

I'm going to be late.



ANNA

I miss that.



ROGER

What? The bicycle?



ANNA

No, the...well, yes that too. But...being like...



ROGER

I've got to go. I'll see you after. Do you want me too pick

up some sugar?



ANNA

Yes--but...maybe you could come back here first? We could go together.



ROGER

What?



ANNA

After you get off--Maybe we could walk to the store together?



ROGER

Um? No, it's fine, it's on my way back, I'll just--



ANNA

Roger, would you kiss me in the park?


Long Pause

ROGER

Yes. Of course. But I've got to get going--I can't be late. We'll talk about this when I get back. I love you.

He kisses her

ANNA

I love you too.

He goes

ANNA

Don't forget the milk too.



He leaves. She is alone

3 comments:

Megnificent said...

My gosh, that's depressing.

Sofia D. Hoiland said...

Wow. Did you write this?

Anonymous said...

nice. you have a lovely way with feeling...