Third Time's the Charm...


I should be studying for finals, or writing a paper--but I'm not going to yet. I'm pissed and I need to get this off my chest. I haven't been this angry in a long time.
I'm super frustrated with the Theatre Department. No... just the department head.

This is the THIRD time this year that I've gone in for a project proposal and been brushed off.
The first time I made a proposal was during the first week of fall semester. The department announced that it would be awarding grants and performance space for the top proposals. I had an awesome concept and I wrote up a GREAT application. I wanted to do a reader's theatre of Sinclair Lewis play It Can't Happen Here (Synopsis) incorporating old fashioned slide projectors to create the settings. What's more, they were looking for a play to do some research on to present at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research. Lewis' play would have been perfect for this sort of project. And so timely considering the events of the past eight years of the Bush Administration's abuse of power. The parallels are frightening.
In any case, I got a call the next day after I turned in my app from one of the reviewers saying that my proposal was one of the best they had received and that it was almost sure to get final approval if the performance space was available during my requested time slot. I could hope to expect an official announcement at the next Department meeting, but until then I had to keep my mouth shut about the approval.
The Department meeting came and went without any announcement. I asked the Dept. chair afterwards what the hold up was.
"We'll have to look at some scheduling issues, we'll probably announce next month."
This was fine with me. I had requested a slot in late march. Plenty of time.

October.
November.
Two more Department meetings came and went. No announcement. Same excuse.

Turns out, the Department head gave out only one grant--to himself. He signed himself on as Producer of one of the student proposals and totally hijacked the project. And the project did end up going to the National Conference of Undergraduate Research. That meant a free trip to Maryland for the hijacker and a gold star on his tenure.

I took one of his classes the following semesters. It turns out that this professor is one of the most conservative and vocal pro-bush supporters I've ever met. He regularly makes fun of one his subordinate professors who openly espouses the dangerous doctrine of: Global Warming. I almost walked out of class on at least three occasions during in-class lectures on "Why the Democrats Have Ruined America" or "How Welfare Creates Parasites" or "What's Right With the War in Iraq". No wonder my proposal was rejected.

The theatre sat empty on the week I had requested.


Second time this year was when three ambitious friends and I went to the chair's office to request permission to start a Mask Club. We presented a solid idea with practical steps to fill a void in our growing program. We were basically brushed off and told that
"we'll have to see how things go"
and to
"come back next week".

The third time I had an opportunity to dive in to a great project, I did it without permission. I have an opportunity to work with five of the most talented actors in the valley to put on a pulitzer prize winning script. I've presented the idea three times to the department chair. Each time he's given me the same run-around.
"We'll have to see how it goes"
"We'll have to look at scheduling"
and my favorite:
"You need to turn in all your assignments before I can look at allowing you a project"
I have ONE missing assignment in his class. Other than that, I've worked my ass off. I spent an inordinate amount of time on my directing project and even volunteered to be in two other scene studies. (which was not required and for which I will receive no extra credit)
I feel like I've paid my dues.
I'm going ahead with the project anyway. We've been rehearsing for three weeks now and I'm hoping to get approval for the performance space tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't wait for it.

Come support me and my fantastic cast when it opens on May 2nd:

Rabbit Hole
by David Lindsay Abaire
at UVSC's Blackbox Theatre
(hopefully)
May 2nd & 3rd
7:30 PM

Starring:
Christopher Clark
Hailey Smith
Jennifer Latimer
Laura Garner
Chris Bentley


No comments: