(mid-afternoon. Jeff and Linda are at the park. Linda is sketching Jeff, who is sitting on a park bench)

JEFF
That's it? That's all you're going to say?

LINDA
Well if I told you anymore it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?

(beat)

Come on, I don't want to spoil it...

JEFF
Okay, okay.

(beat)

I was just hoping...

LINDA

I know. But it's better this way. You like surprises, right?

JEFF
Yeah...Can't you at least give me a hint?

LINDA
Hold still. No.

JEFF
Okay, alright. Fine. I'll just be patient.

LINDA
Good. You don't have a choice. Just don't make any other plans Friday.

JEFF
Friday?

LINDA
Yeah. Did you have something else? I just figured you'd be busy Saturday.

JEFF
Well, no...I had some friends who wanted to take me out, but...

LINDA
I thought you'd want to have more of an actual party on your birthday, so I thought Friday would be better for us. Can your friends take you out Saturday?

JEFF
Shouldn't be a problem.

LINDA
(beat)

Who is it?

JEFF
Just some people I met at the studio. They came for the workshop.

LINDA
Uh huh. Great.

(beat)

Can I meet them? I mean, what are you going to do?

JEFF
I don't know. We were just going to grab a bite after studio. It's not a big deal, we can do it another time.

LINDA
Okay.

(Beat)

No, I mean, it's your birthday. You should do what you want to do.

JEFF
Sure. Well...what if I want to be with you?

(No Response)

We could get dinner, catch a movie, whatever you want...

(Still none)

I think you should tell me what it is. I hate surprises.

LINDA
I know you do. I think if you want to go get dinner with your friends then you should.

JEFF
You don't mean that.



No comments: