Latrodectus Hesperus

My little sister caught one of these on our front porch and is keeping it in a jar as a pet. I think she named it "Sheila".
Sheila seriously creeps me out. Her venom is fifteen times deadlier than a rattlesnake's, and if she got out, I'd never even hear her coming. She could easily hide in one of my shoes, behind the faucet handle in the bathroom, or underneath my pillow-- just waiting for me to slide my hand under before I go to sleep.
Sheila is ruthless. She eats other spiders that Lizzie puts in her jar. She spins sticky, messy webs and patiently dangles upside down in the middle of her bell jar lair, anxious for her next victim. Her bright red hourglass stares back at me when I venture a peek through the top, reminding me that whether it's Sheila, or a car accident, or cancer that gets me in the end, my time is running out.
What's worse is that Sheila's time probably isn't running out anytime soon. A healthy Black Widow female can potentially live for up to five years.
It's official. I really need to move out.

1 comment:

Little Lisa said...

Your fear of spiders is the most irrational thing about you. But I think it's a lot better than jumping every time you hear a leaf scrape across the ground.

Once again, you are luckier.